Much though I roll my eyes at the whole "self help" movement of the 1980's, something that John Bradshaw said in one of his books still rings true with me. Many people become "human doings" rather than human beings. Their lives revolve around what they do. Tragically, when they stop being able to do the things that have defined them for years, some people can't survive it. I felt lost when it became clear that I would no longer be able to work as a nurse. I had worked in the medical field for so many years. It didn't really hit me until I hadn't been doing that kind of work for a while that I was miserable doing it a lot of the time.
1 comment:
Much though I roll my eyes at the whole "self help" movement of the 1980's, something that John Bradshaw said in one of his books still rings true with me. Many people become "human doings" rather than human beings. Their lives revolve around what they do. Tragically, when they stop being able to do the things that have defined them for years, some people can't survive it.
I felt lost when it became clear that I would no longer be able to work as a nurse. I had worked in the medical field for so many years. It didn't really hit me until I hadn't been doing that kind of work for a while that I was miserable doing it a lot of the time.
Post a Comment