Friday, August 14, 2015

Religion and Community

Although I tend to be critical of organized religion, one aspect I tend to approve of is community. People involved in a church may come together in a positive way, as these people are. There are several benefits to this sort of gathering, including forming bonds with others and spending an enjoyable time in the company of like-minded people.
The problem with organized religion is the intolerance that is often inherent in religious communities. A similar-minded outsider would be welcome, but someone with a very different mindset, even if said visitor were tolerant, would likely be treated with suspicion if not outright disdain.
If we could all learn to open our minds to one another's viewpoints and beliefs, and respected such, even if we didn't share the same belief, we could create a greater world community. Then we could join together in love and tolerance. It may seem a foolish idea, but I believe that one day it may be possible.

~Ellie~

No comments: