Wednesday, November 8, 2017

The Cheese Grates It: The New Hard Times


My son (age 27) once described his generation (the older end of the Millennials) as being “the youngest bunch of old fucks telling those damn kids to get off their damn lawn.” He described a feeling of not exactly hopelessness but discouragement.
The world has changed a lot. My mother (who will be 80 next year) harangues my son that he needs to finish college and get a degree. However, he and I both see that as more student loan debt. College might be a good idea someday. It isn’t right now. 
I grew up during the Cold War (graduated high school in 1983). There was a pervasive sense of doom, like you might as well get all that you can get NOW, because there might not be a future. The 1980′s may have been a decade of excess and parties, but it wasn’t all colorful, bubbly fun. I think that Stranger Things may be one of the best depictions I’ve seen of the 1980′s. There was a lot of darkness and fear beneath the surface.
At nearly 53 years old and with multiple health conditions, I’d like to be able to impart a sense of hope to my son, but I’m afraid I don’t have one to impart. I hope things change and get better, I really do.

~The Cheese Hath Grated It~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the slogans of my youth was "NO Future !"
Perhaps one can see Punk as a kind of emancipation.