Friday, August 26, 2016

The Cheese Grates It: The Satanic Panics Were and Are Stupid




Just putting this out there. 
Obviously I'm still pissed off about this because I've never forgotten it.
Back in the day, ya know, when dinosaurs roamed and we had to fear being crushed by brontosaurus with their big feet and walnut brains, I was in high school, and I had a really bad reputation for being a "devil worshiper." 
There seemed to be two reasons for this.
One was my belief that government sanctioned health care "such as they have in Sweden"was a good idea.
The other was my love for what became known as "classic rock" music, especially a weird little band known for a weird little guy who sometimes wore a hat with devil horns and was infamous for dropping trou and mooning the audience.
Call Angus Young cheeky--hell, call the entire band cheeky, and you're right. But I never understood for one minute how people could accuse them of being evil. 
I think I'm feeling particularly sensitive about it at the moment, having read how Angus makes sure to frequently contact his very sick, dying brother, even though he's said that his brother "isn't in there at all any more."
Angus always tells Malcolm that he loves him and that everyone misses him, even though he isn't sure if anything he says gets through.
What an evil, evil bastard. What kind of a monster does that?
Angus also said that disbanding after Malcolm could no longer continue might have been the right thing to do, but back when they first started, if you didn't play, you didn't eat, and that has always stuck with him.
You don't forget being really poor, which these guys were.
I initially liked them for their music. I wouldn't have noticed them if it hadn't been for that. Once I found out what kind of people they were, I liked them even more because of that.
I guess I've never understood how people can start really nasty, baseless rumors about other people. I never understood the Satanic Panic crap, not even for a minute. I can tell you that rather than making me want to become more religious, it pushed me away from religion. Even though I feared that I might be going to some sort of hell, because I was raised with those beliefs, I wasn't going to join in a witch hunt.
It's a real lark that people are still talking this kind of shit today. 
Ask me again why I think humans are the creator's biggest mistake.
I'm really not a complete misanthrope, even though such a statement might make me appear to be one. I like people one on one, unless they give me reason not to. It's the human race as a whole that I have problems with.

~The Cheese Hath Grated It~



No comments: