Wednesday, September 6, 2017

The New Cold War

You're Lost Little Boy Version 13
Photoshop Manipulation by The Real Cie

I had a very realistic nuclear attack dream where I was in downtown Denver and could see the cloud appearing on the horizon. People were staring and screaming. Some were starting to run, but most of us realized there was no escape.
I wanted to see my son again. I wanted to call my mother, with whom I have a troubled relationship, and tell her that I love her even though our bond is difficult. I wasn't afraid so much as extremely sad. I knew there was nothing more I could to do. My last words were "Gem, come get me, please come get me."
When I woke up in my son's living room, I was surprised because the dream was that real.
I'm not sharing this as some sort of prophecy of doom, just a thought that with the Cheeto Warmonger and his pissing contest with Krazy Kim Jong Un, the pervasive feeling that power-hungry kooks could reduce us all to ash and perma-fuck the rest of the planet which many of us remember from the Cold War has made a resurgence.
I was once talking to my son about how living during the Cold War has formed the sorts of things I write and even the way I think. I said that I never thought much about the future when I was younger because I was pretty sure I didn't have one as I figured I was going to die in a nuclear exchange.
My son made the remark that he didn't know what it was like living during the Cold War, but the older science fiction that he likes to read gave him an idea of how people who lived then thought and felt with the looming shadow of possible nuclear war.
The other day I said to him "remember how you said you didn't know what it was like to live during the Cold War? Well, thanks to Trump, now you do."
My reasons to hate Lord Dampnut do not lessen as his time in office marches on.

~Cie~

2 comments:

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Not sure if this a return to the Cold War. I think Trump is doing that nicely enough with his ludicrous outbursts about China, a country that is doing no wrong in the warmongering stakes even if they are on a humanitarian level to their people. I think the issue with North Korea, specifically Kim Jong Un, is one of having a long memory, one that has never forgiven the USA for all the evils visited upon them during the war in the late forties. I think North Korea, or rather Kin Jong Un, seeks revenge.

"The story dates to the early 1950s, when the U.S. Air Force, in response to the North Korean invasion that started the Korean War, bombed and napalmed cities, towns and villages across the North. It was mostly easy pickings for the Air Force, whose B-29s faced little or no opposition on many missions.The bombing was long, leisurely and merciless, even by the assessment of America’s own leaders. “Over a period of three years or so, we killed off — what — 20 percent of the population,” Air Force Gen. Curtis LeMay, head of the Strategic Air Command “everything that moved in North Korea, every brick standing on top of another.” After running low on urban targets, U.S. bombers destroyed hydroelectric and irrigation dams in the later stages of the war, flooding farmland and destroying crops."

“we killed civilians, friendly civilians, and bombed their homes, fired on whole villages with occupants – women and children, and ten times as many hidden communist soldiers – under showers of napalm, and the pilots came back to their ships stinking of vomit twisted from their vitals by the shock of what they had to do.”

America dropped 26,171 bombs in 2016. Barak Obama handed a surveillance state and war machine to a maniac.

I truly hope as any sane person would that Trump listens to Putin who is urging a peaceful settlement for I think Kim Jong Un wants war, a war that will be blisteringly hot, not cold.

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

It's very definitely a pissing contest between Lord Dampnut and Krazy Kim Jong Un. I don't think that Trump is as batshit loony as Kim Jong Un. Rather, I think he's a blowhard with not much in the way of brains who likes to wave his dick around in public, metaphorically speaking. Both of them want to go to war for different reasons.