Some years ago now, I wrote a short story called "A Vagrant God." I liked the story. I was pleased with what I wrote. Like most of my stuff, it was never published. I don't think it ever will be either not that I think now it should. The one bit I still like, which I have amended here, is the opening of the story. As I say it is altered now. It is my take on what God the deity is and what happened to God when organised religion manacled God to their logic. I hope no Jewish, Christian or Muslim friends will be offended. I am not out to upset anyone least of all those whose paths may be different but whose destination is the same.
A
Vagrant God
god went
walkabouts. she just packed up her stuff and went. nobody knows exactly where
she went but she is gone. gone the way of legends. gone the way of myth. gone.
somewhere else. somewhere far away. god doesn't get lonely like you and me. she
doesn't feel the hollow pangs of sorrow gnawing like a rat at her stomach
lining. she doesn't feel the desolation of guilt hanging heavy in the noise of
her mind. she left her hairbrush and her box of trinkets. left her lacy gloves
of cloud. left them all behind her and went. the girls and boys in heaven found
them. they had no time for bric-a-brac. they threw them over the edge of the
sky. watched them fall like crystallised raindrops. falling to earth in a
clatter of pin pricks. shards of diamonds. a splash of jewels down onto the
heads of peasants and paupers. some paupers are smarter than others. a
collective. a co-operative. a conglomerate. saints to sinners. paupers to
princes. the men of tungsten and foil opened a stall. selling bits of rope and
truth. the men of wood and brass opened a shop. selling the promise of
perpetual youth. slices of heaven cheap at half the price. neatly wrapped and
easily swallowed. and it came to pass. through the ticking of time. through the
vaudeville of ritual. through the denial of faith. that peasants and paupers,
proprietors and princelings bought salvation with coins and corruption and made
a new god. a god of muscle. a god of stealth. a god of iron with a will of
stone. a phallus in blue jeans.

No comments:
Post a Comment