So, this was in an acquaintance's feed, and I was livid. I stated that I didn't find it the least bit funny as this is the sort of thing that someone with dementia or a severe mental illness might do. I also stated that the "Wal Mart" stereotype was pretty old and tired. In the area where I live, Wal Mart is one of the few options. You know who goes to Wal Mart in my area? People. Just...people. Maybe because I'm not a judgmental douchebag I don't pay them much mind, but nobody has ever really stood out.
This image was also upsetting to me as dementia has had a strong impact on my life in the past several years in particular. I used to work with geriatric patients but had to get out of the field because it was becoming too personal. My father had vascular dementia at the time of his death. My aunt has Alzheimer's and my uncle is trying to continue caring for her, but it's becoming more and more difficult. She spends much of the night dressing and undressing repeatedly and trying doors to see if she can get in or out.
Dementia also began robbing someone not related but still very dear to me of his mind when he was only 55 years old. He now remembers nothing about his life, including those he was close to.
So I don't find this sort of thing amusing. There is something amiss with this person's mind. They are almost certainly living in poverty. None of these things are funny.
The person who posted that crap also posted this and several others. I commented, "yep, because big people and handicapped people shouldn't be allowed to have friends or fun." Then I unfriended her shallow ass.
We all know that being my Facebook friend is a special privilege reserved only for the elite.
Yeah, right.
In truth, it's fairly hard to piss me off enough to get unfriended. I unfollowed a number of people due to their Lord Dampnut support but didn't unfriend them.
However, if you think it's totes hilarious to post demeaning images of an impoverished elderly person who obviously has a severe cognitive or psychiatric impairment and caption it with something along the lines of "hurr hurr hurr, Wal Mart shoppers, amirite?"
...and then when someone states that it really is not funny to ridicule people with dementia or severe psychiatric illness or people living in poverty...
you follow that so hilarious image up with images ridiculing fat people and handicapped people because hurr hurr hurr Wal Mart shoppers, amirite?
You can bet I'm gonna unfriend your unsympathetic, bullying ass.
We have plenty of shitty politicians whose awful policies and behaviors we can ridicule from sunup to sundown. Ridiculing the mentally and physically impaired and those whose bodies are viewed as unattractive in a society which has a very narrow view of beauty is quite simply a crappy thing to do, and I am not going to associate with the sorts of people whose idea of a good time is belittling others, especially those whose lives are hellish on a daily basis anyway.
~The Cheese Hath Grated It~



No comments:
Post a Comment