"The Buddha respected people’s desire to practice their own faith, so he answered the Brahmin’s question in a way that encouraged him to do so. If you enjoy sitting meditation, practice sitting meditation. If you enjoy walking meditation, practice walking meditation. But preserve your Jewish, Christian or Muslim roots. That is the way to continue the Buddha’s spirit. If you are cut off from your roots, you cannot be happy." ~Thich Nhat Hanh

2 comments:
I've always appreciated this aspect of Buddhism. It is a philosophy rather than a religion. Thus, one can be Buddhist but can also keep the positive parts of other religions as well.
I agree. It is something that I try (now) to adhere to. I distrust organised religion but not those of faith. I don't understand the need to organise people of faith. How can you? Surely faith, or belief, is personal? Jiddu Krishnamurti said that truth is a pathless land. That makes sense to me. That being so why not adopt bits of another faith if the bit you adopt resounds with the truth? There's a lot to be said about Buddhism. Not for me but still good.
Post a Comment