Tuesday, July 24, 2018

"The Sins of the Scripture"



I think Bishop Shelly Spong to be not only an inspirational speaker but a force of reason, a truly revolutionary voice for Christian's, and there are many I know, who feel that Biblical scripture has been manipulated by organised religion to such a degree that it cannot be viewed as a representation of how the Christian Messiah would have wanted it interpreted. 

Spong reaches beyond the boundaries of religion using his personal faith to reach out to those whose adherence to the Golden Rule is paramount and includes others, all others, to unite in something larger, more Godlike, than the divisive nature of manmade religion.

His message is an inclusive one. He speaks as though he has awakened, is aware of reality, of the world around him and the need for those of faith to disengage with being organised by an office so that Christians turn toward a personal faith rather than a collective. 

Such inspiration in a time when those who share his vision need it most. 

2 comments:

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

Organized religion is far more political than spiritual. In fact, I would say it is pretty well bereft of spirituality.
The people most responsible for me distancing myself from Christianity are the "true believers." Had I encountered Bishop Spong earlier, I might have remained a Christian.

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Spong's form of Christianity would be far closer to my philosophy than the Pope's or Evangelical's that's for sure.