Tuesday, October 3, 2017

OctPoWriMo 2017: Day 3: Mirage

Angela Chrome by Simon Danaher

Mirage

I

Under the moon

We are all supposed to appear
Smooth and sleek, flawless

It matters not how warm the heart
In this world, it is preferable
To be smooth and cold as metal

II

She is flawless, irresistible

When kissing the mirage
He tastes the taste of metal

Something rings hollow
But he silences his soul's warning
In favor of perfection

III

A darkness encroaches

From the shadows
A glamour enfolds him

Stealing his soul
With the lie of perfection
He begins to become as she is

IV

Under the moon

He becomes smooth and hollow
Soulless perfection

As he dies within
The void in his eyes
Is a hollow ring

V

The sparks start to fly

Metal on metal
Creating the stars around her

Beautiful to behold
But only a lie
Told to make us buy

VI

They fall to earth

Ice from the sky
Melts in the atmosphere

Perfection personified
They were never real
Yet the lie lives on forever

~Cie~


Notes:
The poem references the lies told by the beauty, fashion, and diet industries, selling us on an image of perfection which doesn't exist in reality and causing many of us to hate who we are unnecessarily.
It is a battle I've fought all my life, on one hand desiring to be accepting of others regardless of their physical appearance and on the other hand despising myself for my unforgivable ugliness in a world which craves impossible beauty.
I really liked this prompt.
I am now caught up with OctPoWriMo's prompts (for the moment.) I still have ten more to go to get through 30 Days of Haiga--which wrapped on September 30.
I'm also considering participating in Inktober, and then in November I will be doing NaNoWriMo creating the story line for the VILE Awards on the Rattling Bones Undead Musician Magazine, as I do every year.
At the end of November, those nice young folk in their clean white coats will come to take me away to the Funny Farm.

~Cie~

No comments: