Malcolm Mitchell Young was born January 6, 1953. He stands about 5'3" tall and weighs about 100 pounds. He looks kind of like a Leprechaun. He isn't what most people would think of when they hear the word "beautiful."
Malcolm was very shy and tended to be depressive. He turned to certain magic potions to make him feel more sociable and less sad, which is a not uncommon problem but an oft-vilified one. His closest friend and the other half of his soul, his brother Angus, stated that Malcolm wasn't sober one day from the time he was seventeen until the time he went into rehab at 35. He successfully rehabilitated from alcohol addiction at that point.
Seldom have I seen a closer, more obvious soul mate relationship. It's beautiful but at the same time tragic, because Malcolm doesn't remember who his brother is (or who anyone else is) any more. My heart breaks for both of them.
The big, friendly-looking fellow was Malcolm's nurse during his last tour with the band that he created. He no longer remembers how to play the instrument he was so proficient and innovative with. He no longer remember any of the things he did during his life. The picture was taken after he had a stroke in 2012. I know some people will think I'm terrible for saying this, but I think it would have been better if his body had stopped working at that point.
Our writing sister Dolly believes that Malcolm is a teacher and that his struggle is a lesson for us undeserving sorts here in Purgatory. She thinks he agreed to this mission prior to even being born. I don't disagree with her, but I still think it sucks much ass. She is correct that he was the kind of person who would say "why not me" as opposed to "why me" when confronted with such a horrific diagnosis.
Many people think that youth and perfection are the hallmarks of beauty. Most would say that the person in the top image is more beautiful than the one in the bottom image. They are the same person, and yet they aren't. In some ways, the person in the bottom image is the more beautiful, because he had learned certain lessons in compassion and was less likely to inadvertently make unintentionally callous statements. He was wiser, and wisdom is a thing of beauty.
Both of them are flawed people with good intentions.
Malcolm Young is a beautiful soul. I think that although his body is still functional, he no longer operates through it. For all intents and purposes, he functions as a discarnate spirit. I have sensed that he deeply regrets having hurt certain people during his lifetime and wishes he could make up for it. He remains a perfectionist who has difficulty forgiving himself for his mistakes.
Malcolm is my first "beautiful person" in my Not So Wordless Wednesday series because his birth anniversary falls two days from now, and because he means the world to me.
~Cie~






2 comments:
Life is a journey, for everyone. I think we are supposed to learn from our own experiences, but also from others. If our own journey can help someone else, that makes it even more meaningful. We each have something to offer, and beauty is so very subjective. Hugs.
Wisdom gained from experience is a beautiful thing. Dementia is a horror that no one should have to live through.
Post a Comment