Wednesday, December 28, 2016

The Cheese Grates It: Hail Princess Leia/Carrie Fisher


The wonderful Carrie Fisher has made her journey to the other side.
May the Force be with her.
Carrie brought to life Princess Leia, the first real action heroine that I can think of. Leia was not just another damsel in distress. She was a true fighter in her own right. My twelve year old heart soared when she took up the blaster pistol and proceeded to take charge.
I am sad to read of Carrie Fisher's passing. Sixty hasn't seemed that old to me in a long time. 
Carrie did not have an easy life. She had money, and she got to do certain things that most of us can only dream of. However, living with bipolar disorder is a challenge, and I have been appalled at her treatment by not only Hollywood but society as a whole for the belief that if a person doesn't continue to be thin and look 25 years old for their entire life that they are somehow a lesser human being. 
Carrie should not have been forced to lose weight in order to reprise her role as Leia. I believe that yo-yo dieting harms the body. Health at Every Size is a much better approach. Carrie herself said that she liked exercising but didn't like dieting. A lot of people feel the same way. We tend to become miserable and obsessed with food when we're engaging in deprivation dieting, and, for all but a small percentage of people, such deprivation always ends up with the weight being regained, usually plus several pounds. 
For my own part, I had to stop dieting so I wouldn't become any bigger. Lo and behold, I haven't. Diets don't work, and if I have to spend the rest of my life being the killjoy who comes down on body shamers and preaches the wholesome word of Health at Every Size, so be it.
Carrie was perfect as she was. It's sad that this wonderful woman had to spend her life at war with her body, as so many of us do.
I am saddened by Carrie's passing, but I'm not in grief. I think she's okay with the way things played out. It's a much better thing to go the way she did than to linger on for years in terrible pain, with increasing severe physical compromise, or with decreasing cognitive function, and in my mind, the third is the worst of all. For my own part, I would rather depart this world swiftly, as my heroine Carrie Fisher did, than to linger on for years unable to care for myself with my body and mind deteriorating, as my own father did.
My father used to say that a good death was the best reward. His final moments were peaceful, but the road there was exceedingly difficult. He deserved better.
Carrie's was actually a good death. She deserved that. 
May your journey to the next act be amazing, Carrie.

The Cheese Hath Grated It
With Much Love and Respect


No comments: