Wednesday, April 4, 2018

30 Days of De-Objectification: Dear David


Dear David,
You did so much more than you ever expected you would. You truly did change the world. You gave me and other freaks like me the gift of knowing that being different was, actually, a good thing.
I loved your wild costumes when you channeled Ziggy Stardust. But I think I loved it even more when you started to feel secure enough to let David begin to emerge. I liked who I saw. He was a sweet and humble man, although in many ways he was far above and beyond everyone else.
Ziggy Stardust was a beautiful, otherworldly man-boy.
David Bowie was a wonderful, admirable man.
I do think you were something out of this world, something such as an angel, perhaps.
I am not saying you had no flaws. I know you saw your own flaws and tried to correct them. That is something that already makes you above and beyond many others.
So many of the songs you wrote brought comfort to me when I was an unpopular kid who just wanted to fit in somewhere. Why would I want to fit in with the jerks who rejected and ridiculed me, when I could fit in with Ziggy Stardust instead? I’d rather die than be like them. I truly mean that.
Then there was the song which you could have written just for me.
See these eyes so green
I can stare for a thousand years
Colder than the moon
 It's been so long
Feel my blood enraged
It's just the fear, of losing you
Don't you know my name
Well, you've been so long
And I've been putting out fire
With gasoline
See these eyes so red
Red like jungle burning bright
Those who feel me near
Pull the blinds and change their minds
It's been so long
Still this pulsing night
A plague I call a heartbeat
Just be still with me
But you wouldn't believe what I've been through
You've been so long, well, it's been so long
 And I've been putting out the fire with gasoline
Putting out the fire with gasoline
See these tears so blue
An ageless heart that can never mend
Tears can never dry
A judgement made can never bend
See these eyes so green
I can stare for a thousand years
Just be still with me
You wouldn't believe what I've been through
Well you've been so long, it's been so long
And I've been putting out fire with gasoline
Putting out fire with gasoline
Putting out fire I've been putting out fire
Well it's been so long, so long, so long
Yes it's been so long, so long, so long
I've been putting out fire
Been so long, so long, so long
Been so long, so long, so long
Been so long, so long, so long
I listened to this song so often that I think I wore out the grooves on the record.
I went through hell in my late teens. The hell continued into my early twenties. I had type 2 bipolar disorder, which would remain improperly diagnosed until I was in my late thirties. Nobody understood. Their advice was to “just stop acting/thinking/being like that.”
This song was about me.
No, I never thought that you wrote the song “about me” in a literal sense. But it was about me nonetheless.
You were my friend, David, even though I never got to meet you in the flesh in this lifetime.
I think maybe now you know what you mean to me. Maybe we are friends, even if I can’t see you. I do think you care, because you are a compassionate soul.
I love you, dear David, my friend and fellow freak.

Fondly,

Cie

Note:
Rather than writing an explanatory piece about why David Bowie deserves better than to be objectified by fawning fools who give not one single fuck for anything other than his sex appeal, I thought I would write about what he meant to me personally.
David Bowie is one of those rare souls who managed to convey a message of hope to the entire world. He was truly unique and very special. To see him as a mere “sex object” is an unconscionable insult. He deserves better by far.


2 comments:

Russell CJ Duffy said...

Bowie, as all us cool dudes call him(sic) entered my life a little before the Ziggy era. (Yes, I am positively ancient compared to you.) It was 1966. We had a game show over here, sort of, whereby a panel of people gave a critique on the pop music they had just heard followed by a set of point up to 5. I think, being only 12 at the time, the song got a 4 and was compared to Cat Stevens. Again, I think the song was "Rubber Band." It might have been "Love You Till Tuesday." Whatever, I liked it. But then, entering a time, an age rather, when adolescent boys played as much Rock and Roll as they did themselves! I purchased Bowie's second album. Oddly an eponymous affair like the first. It had "Space Oddity" on it but more importantly "The Cygnet Committee." Oh, man what a song. I loved David, and unashamedly still do not only for all the wonderful singles and albums he made but because of his accent, unlike The Beatles from Liverpool, was like mine. Yes, he made me feel, as he did you, that it was alright not to fit any given stereotype, to be less of freak but more an individual. God bless him. x

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

Eh, you're not ancient, you're my big brother. :-)
I have really benefited from your knowledge and experiences.
I was kind of sheltered and, honestly, didn't find out about David Bowie until I was twelve. I had a friend whose older brother "corrupted" me in all the right ways. In other words, he introduced me to some great music. With my religious upbringing, I was pretty sure I was going to hell for my enjoyment of it, but I thought it was worth the price.