30 Days of De-Objectification:
Freddie Mercury
Although even the so-called “classic rock fandom” of Tumblr
infamy is generally respectful of Freddie Mercury as far as not making crass,
objectifying statements about him, there is a tendency to fetishize gay
and bisexual men among certain fandoms. Thus, I want to take a moment to
humanize the fabulous icon that is Freddie Mercury.
Freddie Mercury was born Farrokh Bulsara on September 5,
1946 in Stone Town, Sultanate of Zanzibar. He formed his first band, The
Hectics, at twelve years of age. The family fled to England during the 1964
Zanzibar Revolution.
Freddie’s interest in music remained strong. In 1970, he
joined Roger Taylor and Brian May to form the band that would become Queen.
Freddie named the band and designed their eye-catching logo. He co-wrote many
of Queen’s songs. Although he is best known for his voice, he also played piano
and guitar.
A flamboyant personality onstage, Freddie was quiet and shy
offstage. He preferred to keep his private life private and rarely granted
interviews. He once said of himself: “when I’m performing, I’m an extrovert;
yet inside, I’m a completely different man.”
Freddie never denied his sexual orientation; however, he was
never particularly open about it until the end of his life. His struggles with
AIDS were not made public until close to the time of his death, although there
was speculation about his health in the British tabloids. The announcement of
his illness was made public on November 22, 1991. Freddie died on November 24,
1991. His surviving band mates formed the Mercury Phoenix foundation in his
honor.
Freddie’s closest friends and band mates were aware of his
illness. He continued to create music until he became too ill to do so. He
composed the strikingly beautiful “The Show Must Go On” not long before his
passing.
Freddie Mercury made a difference, not only in the world of
music but in the world as a whole. Although he never directly spoke out about
the need for tolerance regarding sexual orientation, both his flamboyant
persona and his accepting personality spoke volumes. He showed the world that
one should be proud of who they are and to tolerate others as they are.
The night after Freddie died, I dreamed that I was standing
in front of an old house on a hill. It was nighttime. I had been thinking about
Freddie as I fell asleep and hoped that he was at peace. Freddie walked up to
me. He smiled and kissed me on the cheek.
“Thanks for thinking of me,” he said. “And you shouldn’t
worry so much.”
The memory of this dream always makes me smile. For what it’s
worth, I think it wasn’t just a dream. Freddie had my number: I am an awful
worrier.
Freddie Mercury’s legacy will endure forever. That’s as it
should be.
Love, Cie


No comments:
Post a Comment