Monday, April 2, 2018

The Cheese Grates It: 30 Days of De-Objectification: Brian Johnson


The Cheese Grates It:
31 Days of De-Objectification:
Brian Johnson
Brian Johnson is a ruggedly handsome gent with a warm smile and an affable personality. What's not to like?
It's fine to acknowledge that Mr. Johnson is attractive. It is not fine to act as if he is nothing more than a sex object.
Brian seems to be in reasonably good condition for a person in his early 70's. However, like most people in this age range, he has chronic health issues. He lives with a condition called Barrett's Esophagitis. While this illness can strike people of any age, it is more common in older adults. It can be managed with the use of antacids and avoiding certain foods. However, people with the condition are more vulnerable to esophageal cancer than the average person.
Brian has issues with hearing loss which ended his career in music. He has had multiple operations to try and restore his hearing. Although he has handled this life-changing condition gracefully, it's obvious that it has been difficult for him to lose his livelihood. He also recently lost a friend and business associate of many years in the passing of Malcolm Young. 
Brian is a strong person, but he is also a vulnerable person. I find it extremely distasteful that people calling themselves "classic rock fans" would see fit to write things that would make Ron Jeremy blush about a man old enough to be their grandfather. This behavior is extremely puzzling, not to mention disrespectful as hell.
The individuals objectifying older musicians such as Brian Johnson really care nothing whatsoever about the music or the people behind it. I honestly don't understand their motivation. Perhaps their motivation is simply to be as awful as possible. If so, mission accomplished.
If these people really cared about the musicians they claimed to be "fans" of, they would show them respect, not treat them as pieces of meat. Brian Johnson has been through a lot. He deserves better than to be reduced to masturbation material.

~The Cheese Hath Grated It~


http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com

3 comments:

Liz A. said...

OK, now I feel old. Early seventies for a grandfather. Nope, that's my parents' age.

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

I think you're younger than I am. I'm 53. My mother will be 80 this June. She is a grandmother, though, as I have a soon to be 28-year-old son.
Saying I'm 53 doesn't make me feel old. Saying that my son will be 28 this year does!

Russell CJ Duffy said...

I wouldn't mind being objectified. Sadly, no one gives a toss about me. (That is a very bad joke that may only make sense to the English!)