30 Days of De-Objectification:
Lust
This post will deviate somewhat from the subject matter in
the previous posts, but it’s still relevant to the 30 Days of
De-Objectification theme.
We live in a society where lust is seen as the most
important emotion and hotness is the most important attribute.
This statement is not mine. I believe these are the words of
Meghan Murphy, creator of the Feminist Current website. In any case, I agree
with this assessment.
This is by no means a new phenomenon.
Watching films over the years, it became obligatory to show
(usually female) nudity and to have one or more obligatory staged sex scenes. The
relatively tame “jiggle” shows of the 1970s gave way to more and more explicit
sex scenes on television, usually focusing on female bodies.
Music videos, which existed in one form or another long
before MTV was born, initially tended to showcase performances by bands.
Sometimes videos, such as those created by The Troggs in the 1960s, were a
little more involved, having a story along with the music.
Simply splendid.
Initially, I was very excited about music videos. But then they started being filled with the obligatory “video vixens” and I was bemused, discouraged, and not surprised. There is literally no video I can think of that wouldn’t have been better without the “video vixens.”
Sadly, this means I have a love-hate relationship with many videos
by my favorite bands. Sometimes I love the song but hate the video. Sometimes I
am divided on the video itself: there are parts of it that I like and others
that I can’t stand.
Here's an Iron Maiden video that I like.
I straight up despised the video for Iron Maiden’s “From Here to Eternity” until Beavis and Butthead helped me see the lighter side of it. As Butthead explains, if you told Maiden to get rid of the flame machines, they’d say “no way, Bunghole!” Thus, although the video still makes me roll my eyes, every time I see it, I think of Beavis and Butthead lampooning it, so it makes me laugh too.
I straight up despised the video for Iron Maiden’s “From Here to Eternity” until Beavis and Butthead helped me see the lighter side of it. As Butthead explains, if you told Maiden to get rid of the flame machines, they’d say “no way, Bunghole!” Thus, although the video still makes me roll my eyes, every time I see it, I think of Beavis and Butthead lampooning it, so it makes me laugh too.
Sadly, the video for “You Shook Me All Night Long” is half pure
genius and half pure shite. It would be pure genius if the video vixens in the
spin class were removed and the cheeky little black and white bits starring the
band members remained. There are probably outtakes from the shoot that could be
added back in. Or you could replace the video vixen spin class with the band
playing.
Malcolm Young once said he didn’t want to have the band do
videos which looked like they were made in a cabaret. I wish they’d stuck to
their guns on that. I do understand that a lot of the older bands felt
railroaded into having videos of something other than the band playing made.
Anyway, the video for “Hail Caesar” is 100% genius (the synchronized swim team
appearing in the video aren’t “video vixens”) so there’s that.
In any case, the horror of “Blurred Lines” tops them all in
the field of odiousness. Since I would sooner saw my ears off with a rusty spoon than post that, and I don't want to saw my ears off with a rusty spoon, we just won't post that one.
A society which focuses on lust and hotness to the exclusion
of all other qualities is a failed society.
This sort of attitude will be forced into extinction when
people start to examine their motives and refuse to objectify others.



No comments:
Post a Comment