Jim Morrison
Photographed 1967 by Gloria Stavers
30 Days of De-Objectification:
Jim Morrison
The iconic images of the late Jim Morrison which everyone tends
to focus on were only small parts of given photo shoots. The Strange Days
documentary on Netflix shows more of one of these photo shoots. It shows Jim
laughing and being goofy with the photographer and seeming to find the focus on
him a bit silly overall.
A snapshot captures an infinitesimally brief moment; a
moment which passes in the blink of an eye. Snapshots can capture the best of a
person, at least appearance-wise. I am not saying that a snapshot doesn’t
capture a certain element of that person. However, the truth about a person can
be lost behind a particularly seductive image.
Jim Morrison was a strikingly handsome man, but there was so
much more to him than his looks. He had an incredible voice and was a brilliant
poet. He was intelligent, charismatic, and insightful.
However, behind the image of the Lizard King was a shy,
insecure man who never really felt like he belonged.
Reducing Jim Morrison to a pretty pop star does him a great
disservice. He was so much more than that.
I would love to have been Jim’s friend. I was only four
years old when he died, but, if I could hitch a ride aboard the TARDIS, I’d
love to go back in time, perhaps to listen in on a recording session, perhaps
to catch a performance at the Whiskey A Go-Go. Those would be amazing things to
do. However, what I’d really like to do would be to sit and listen to Jim’s
take on the world, maybe to write poems together. I’d like to see inside his
fragile eggshell mind. I’d like to sit and watch a sunset with him and to just be
happy to make a good friend.
It honestly hurts me when I see people reducing someone like
Jim Morrison to nothing more than an object. I want to shake them and ask
them how they manage to miss out on the depth of this amazing individual. It
isn’t a tragedy that he died because he was pretty. Its a tragedy that he
died because the world lost an incredible artist and an amazing person.
Jim had his faults, to be sure. He could be a mean drunk.
According to Ray Manzarek, there were two Jim Morrisons: Jim and Jimbo.
Everyone liked Jim. Nobody liked Jimbo, and Jimbo didn’t like much of anyone,
least of all himself.
Perhaps the worst aspect of Oliver Stone’s film (which Ray
Manzarek despised) was the fact that rather than telling the story of the very
human Jim Morrison, it only focused on the image of Jim Morrison: the scintillating
spectacle captured by various snapshots in an all too brief life. This is,
unfortunately, how most people view the man.
I had a friend in high school who well nigh worshiped Jim,
but I didn’t find her obsession with him cringe-worthy. There was a reverence
to her feelings which is lacking in people who tend to talk about how “fuckable”
a given person is to the exclusion of all other aspects of said person. My
friend would often share Jim’s poems with me. She carried a copy of his poetry
book with her. Sometimes a group of us would go up on the hill behind the
school, smoke a joint, and Kris would read Jim’s poetry to us. Then we would
talk about Jim, his poems, and our own lives.
I think that Jim would have approved.
I love it when young people enjoy the songs from my
generation and my parents’ generation.
I love it when they want to find out more about the amazing
artists who created those songs.
When they talk about wanting to bang these aging, and, in
some cases dead individuals?
I’m not keen on that at all.
I find it incredibly disrespectful and minimizing of talented
and multifaceted people.
The music is timeless.
People are finite.
Have some damn respect.
~The Cheese Hath Grated It~



No comments:
Post a Comment